Just imagine the Americans never came to the rescue and England was left alone to fight fascism… and lost.
She was imposed to pay reparations and join a Germanic Union. English language was forbidden at schools, whose classes always started with the Über Alles. Cricket was prohibited as it was considered a weak sport. Anyone found singing or whistling Jerusalem was deported to concentration camps.
Those who had fought lost their homes and business to the friends of Mosley and the court of King Edward VIII’s. Windsor changed its name back to Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
After the Northumberland trials, which demonstrated war crimes, Churchill was executed at the Tower of London and was buried next to the princes.
However, with the dictator’s death in the 70’s, a wave of reform spread throughout Europe.
A new Constitution was voted, which permitted regional governments and democratic elections. Nevertheless, it imposed an indivisible sovereignty for the whole of the Germanic Union. The right of self-determination was forbidden by constitutional mandate. It was still voted in favour by a huge majority, even in England, as the alternative was to remain a dictatorship.
Westminster revived. With democracy and free trade, England expanded its economy, though not at its full capacity.
The central government in Berlin still had the monopoly of economic policy and taxation. Of the total revenue collected in England, only 70% returned to the English administration. The remaining 30% was left to fund high speed trains in Ukraine, to guarantee Berlin’s market exposure and oil supply from the Caucasus. The institutional framework was designed to reinforce central competitive advantage in detriment of its periphery.
No funds were left to invest on the Eurostar. Heathrow, the only London airport, remained with one runway. There was no NHS. All financial services were concentrated in Frankfurt. Still, during economic expansive cycles, and thanks to a push of internal trade, England grew.
However, financial deregulation led to an economic turmoil and global recession in 2007-2008. The new coalition government tried to cut expenditure, rebalance the economy and increase private profitability after the mess left by the previous labour government.
Austerity didn’t work. While public spending decreased, also did revenues. Regional finances collapsed. Schools and hospitals closed. Unemployment rose to 20%.
From the business sector and the population increasing demands claimed for total control of regional finances.
David Cameron went to the Germanic Council to negotiate a new fiscal deal which would increase England’s budget. But the door was closed. Largely hit too by the financial crisis, its consequent unemployment, public debt and entering depression, the central government needed more than ever the extra revenue from its regions.
On the 5th of November 2012, 4 millions of Englishmen gathered in Hyde Park in a march to Trafalgar Square.
There had always been marginal independence supports by the youth of east London and the Midlands, and from the left wing of the Labour Party.
Now, with the crisis, all social classes united with a unique demand: we want to collect our taxes, we want to control our budget, we want our own state to help economic recovery and to protect the welfare state, and we want a referendum to decide our future. We want full democracy.
While such demonstration was unprecedented, the central authorities soon fought back, with powerful arguments, which filled the FFT –Financial Frankfurt Times- pages:
- In the middle of such harsh crisis it was no time to change the fiscal geographic redistribution of the Germanic Union.
-Democracy is a nice ideal. But, in England, it is subjected to the constitutional law, which doesn’t allow a referendum on independence. And, if such Constitution has to be changed to allow it, all Germans, Austrians and Ukrainians should vote too.
-If the houses of Parliament voted to do a referendum or to proclaim independence unilaterally it would be illegal and the SS would be sent to Dowing Street and English autonomy would be dissolved.
-England has never ever been independent. The Saxons were Germans, the Danish were Germans, and the Normans were Germans. The Romans were nearly Germans. England has no historical right to claim independence. England is and always will be German, and democracy cannot change that.
In 1936-1939, upto 4000 Britons joined the republican side in the Spanish Civil war, being the biggest voluntary participation on a foreign war in British history.
In 2012-2014, the fight against centralism and Spanish nationalism persists. The Catalan referendum on independence will only be possible if the friends of democracy from all countries stand up for it.
Whose side are you on?